Re: How to get info pages for Emacs?

From: Dale Snell
Subject: Re: How to get info pages for Emacs?
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2015 10:21:18 -0700

On Mon, 8 Jun 2015 16:44:52 +0000, in message
B8D164BED956C5439875951895CB4B22284D0F65@CAFRFD1MSGUSRIA.ITServices.sbc.com,
KARR, DAVID wrote:

> I've got Cygwin Emacs 24.5.1 on my desktop and Emacs 24.3.1 on my
> CentOS 7 VM.
>
> If I open the main "info" node on each, I see an "Emacs" node on the
> first, but not on the second.  How do I get the missing Emacs info
> pages on my CentOS 7 VM?

There's a couple of things I can think of.  First off, is there an
"emacs-doc" package for Centos?  If so, is it installed?
Honestly, I don't think this is the problem, since emacs' info
file should be part of the emacs package, but it's easy to check:

    yum list emacs-\* | grep -i doc

Next, check in "/usr/share/info" for the file "emacs.info".  If it
isn't there, try re-installing emacs.  If it is there, check the
same directory for the file "doc", which is the top-level node for
Info.  It should have the lines:

    Emacs
    * Emacs: (emacs).

(possibly more) in there, under Editors.

Beyond that, I'm lost.

I hope this helps.

--Dale

--
"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.  It is by the
beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire