Re: How to select one of the buffers that match a substring in "switch-t

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: How to select one of the buffers that match a substring in "switch-to-buffer"?
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2015 21:19:11 +0200

"KARR, DAVID" <dk068x@att.com> writes:

>> ,----[ C-h v completion-category-overrides RET ]
>> | completion-category-overrides is a variable defined in
>> ‘minibuffer.el’.
>> | Its value is nil.
>> |
>> | Documentation:
>> | List of category-specific user overrides for completion styles.
>> | Each override has the shape (CATEGORY . ALIST) where ALIST is
>> | an association list that can specify properties such as:
>> | - ‘styles’: the list of ‘completion-styles’ to use for that
>> category.
>> | - ‘cycle’: the ‘completion-cycle-threshold’ to use for that
>> category.
>> | Categories are symbols such as ‘buffer’ and ‘file’, used when
>> | completing buffer and file names, respectively.
>> | This overrides the defaults specified in ‘completion-category-
>> defaults’.
>> `----
>
> Would this variable have changed after I installed Icicles?

No.  I just told you in case you want to give icomplete another try.

> Its present value is "((buffer (styles basic substring)))".

Yes.  And its meaning is that with buffer completion, the basic and
substring completion styles are used.  If you also wanted substring
completion for file names, you'd add a similar entry, e.g.,

  (add-to-list 'completion-category-overrides
               '(file (styles basic substring)))

> In any case, installing Icicles appears to give me what I need.

Yes, that's another option.

Bye,
Tassilo