Re: Emacs Book Vs Emacs Manuals

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Emacs Book Vs Emacs Manuals
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2015 00:48:09 +0200

MBR <mbr@arlsoft.com> writes:

> But what if the table had 200 lines so you might not
> have noticed that somewhere off the bottom of the
> screen was a line with 5 columns instead of 4?
> For any such line, the first ".*" in your regular
> expression would do a greedy match which would
> include the first "&".

Now you are changing the rules after the solution is
offered. Besides this is exactly the kind of code
I ridicule ("200 lines"). For LaTeX I make a small
exception but in general I don't think computer code
should look like that.

> Another approach when dealing with things that line
> up visually in columns, is Emacs' rectangle
> commands. Using the same LaTeX table:
>
> \begin{longtable}
>    1 & 2 & 3 & 4 \\\\
>    a & b & c & d \\\\
>    A & B & C & D
> \end{longtable}
>
> Position mark on the "3" in line 2 and point on the
> "D" in line 4. Now type:
>
>     C-x r k

:)

Yeah, that's good. That's the best so far.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573