Re: correcting word groups (general spelling question)

From: Yuri D'Elia
Subject: Re: correcting word groups (general spelling question)
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2015 12:19:21 +0200

On 07/02/2015 12:50 AM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
>> I fear that adding this as grammar would indeed be
>> overengineering. Also because I would be too lazy to
>> add a grammar rule and lose all the benefits.
>> This might be perfectly dumb (that is: select words
>> -> add to dictionary).
>
> No, no, I'm sorry I said that. What other examples did
> you come across, if it isn't a secret? Perhaps testing
> will be more fun and natural if you provide us with
> those as well.

It's hard to make examples without a lot of context unfortunately.

But one thing that came up while I was drafting a paper a couple of
weeks ago was about the names of the various studies and consorzia.

These are usually (very bad) acronyms, which are often spelled in full
with bad capitalization on purpose. One example is the "SarniNIA study",
which I would like to learn as a group, since Sarninia is also often
used in the paper (the name of the isle itself): SardiNIA by itself
would be ambiguous, but "SardiNIA study" instead would be always
correct. Now this is a borderline example, since you have three
capitalized letters that are easy to spot, but it's not always so easy.

Technical papers often mix technical jargon and words in very specific
contextes. Often they contain localized words, which are just 1-2 edits
away from a regular one.

Again, these are words I never put in the dictionary, because they're
just to easy to mistype. I'd rather have them marked as spelling errors
to inspect them. However, they can very often be made unique using one
or two words of context around them, which would avoid the continuous
hassle of seeing 5-6% of the document marked with a spelling error. They
would also be unique enough to be consistent between documents, which
would save me even further time.

Using ispell-skip-region-alist is a "nice" hack. It just needs some
polish to read/write to a simple text file, and maybe a support function
to add the current region to it. I can do that myself ;).

But I cannot stop thinking that I cannot be the only guy with this
"problem", and the solution doesn't strike me as particularly
complicated for the benefit that you have. I would have expected "word"
or "libreoffice" to have something similar for the sake of the user, but
it doesn't.