Re: help in same window + colorful help + Blümchen

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: help in same window + colorful help + Blümchen
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2015 00:17:03 +0200

<tomas@tuxteam.de> writes:

> Yep, I get that. But as you have seen in this
> thread, there are many choices actually (themes,
> font-lock-maximum-decoration, the incredible Do Re
> Mi -- all of them addressing orthogonal needs
> (overall looks, fontification detail, color
> saturation).
>
> Now what would be interesting would be: what's
> missing (besides "I want the default to be what
> I like", which obviously can't work for everyone.
> Yeah, relativist and proud of it. It's the
> (absolutely ;-) only thing I'm absolute about.

Absolutely :)

Here is what I would do: I'd do five distinctly
different themes, then make an example screen with
each, why not with Gnus and Emacs-w3m like in my
example dump, but that isn't important. Then I'd show
those five screens to some 500 people, and have them
arrange them in the order they like the themes the
best. Each stack, the number one theme would get five
points, the number two four, etc. And the theme with
the most points would be a good candidate how Emacs
should look by default! (And if the default X look
would win, I'm fine with that, obviously, tho I doubt
that would happen...)

The reason I think like this is: when I saw Emacs the
first time I realized it was programmable, so
I realized I could have it look and behave any way
I want it to. With this realization it becomes
irrelevant that I think it looks, well "not good", by
default. This isn't a mechanic that is restricted to
colors: many times I don't like the shortcuts (too
long and far from typing position), I don't like the
blinking cursor (disruptive), etc. etc. But to me,
none of that matters, or actually it is a good thing
to some degree as I enjoy writing Lisp and
changing things. I like problems if I can solve them
in a pleasant way!

But many people are not like this, and if they see
something they don't instinctively like they'll go for
something else *in an instant*! And this is what
I'm saying, not that my theme is better. Which it is,
of course, so now I said that as well :)

>> What is "mild" and "angry"? Is it the degree how
>> much markup should be in different colors, or is it
>> the intensity of the colors, i.e. the color scheme?
>
> A bit of both. I tend to a "deep" color scheme, but
> things which are "near" (pretty subjective) get
> colors which are "near" too (subjective too: my
> father was totally color-blind and I inherited a bit
> of that, it seems).

Well, again, it is subjective between you and me, but
it isn't subjective with 500 people. For example,
green is a color which people have the easiest time
with identifying variations; red signals dangers
(think of the traffic lights); and all this is
probably an evolutionary thing. Everyone are different
compared to one another but 500 people will turn up
pretty similar - trust me, if not this post.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573