How to speed up cutting & pasting from/to emacs?

From: Sharon Kimble
Subject: How to speed up cutting & pasting from/to emacs?
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2015 13:17:03 +0100

I'm involved in a project which involves a lot of pasting into emacs
From the clipboard, which is taking a long time.

(setq kill-ring-max 300)
(setq save-interprogram-paste-before-kill t)
(setq x-select-enable-clipboard t)

That is from my init.org and is the only thing relating to the
clipboard.

How can I speed up the cutting and pasting please?

I've tried using the 'clipmon' program but that causes my emacs to
freeze, and sometimes the whole setup so that I have to reboot!

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian 8.0, fluxbox 1.3.7, emacs 24.5.50.2