Re: starting the emacs daemon using init.org?

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: starting the emacs daemon using init.org?
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2015 10:54:44 -0400

On Mon, 2015-07-20 at 07:30 -0700, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
> But really, I can honestly say I have _never_ seen Emacs crash.  A few
> times it went into an infinite spin because a package did something
> dirty, mostly involving an external process.  But crash, never.

It crashes on me sometimes.  Maybe once every month or two, I'll find it
disappeared and a core file sitting in my home directory.  Also
sometimes Emacs gets into weird states with font-lock and indentation in
my code (mostly C++) and I need to restart it to clear it up.  Other
than that I never restart it unless I need to reboot my system.

But I have an interesting use-case:

      * I run emacs --daemon as part of my login process.
      * I run a GNOME desktop and use the GTK-enabled Emacs.
      * At work I create X window frames using emacsclient.
      * When at home I ssh to my work system in a (big) xterm and use
        emacsclient to attach to the daemon and create text frames,
        rather than sending X remotely (our VPN is not super-speedy and
        I type pretty fast :)).

I have a feeling that using both X and non-X frames in the same Emacs is
not as well-tested and may have corner-case issues.