Re: difficulty entering balance mode

From: Haines Brown
Subject: Re: difficulty entering balance mode
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 13:30:53 -0400

On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 08:54:46AM -0700, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
> On 2015-07-30 07:02 -0400, Haines Brown wrote:
>
> >   Cannot load open file: no such file or directory, balance
> >
> > I assume this means it looks for balance.el, but can't find it in
> > ~/.emacs.d/elisp/ because the line add-to-path pointing to elisp/ is
> > missing.
>
> Yes, so add it.  Before the load-library line.

I prepended it and now the minibuffer says

I replaced the line you suggested with this stanza:

   (autoload 'balance-mode "balance")
     (setq auto-mode-alist
      (append '(("\\.bal\\'" . balance-mode)) auto-mode-alist))

And then had emacs open a .balance.bal file. It opened in the balance
mode as it should. But then too does an old .balance.bal file that had
caused problems. That is, at the risk of discrediting myself, I can no
longer reproduce the problem with my proper .emacs configuration.