Re: Packages, release notes, etc

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Packages, release notes, etc
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 19:20:16 -0400

>>> With respect to license, I think it is not even possible for an Emacs
>>> package to have a license different than GPL version 3 or later.
>> Not exactly: the license can be different from GPLv3+, but it should
>> be compatible with GPLv3+, indeed.
> But what's the purpose of the copyleft when I can release a derived work
> basing on GPL code under a GPL-compatible license which has no copyleft
> anymore, e.g., Apache License, Version 2.0?

You can't take existing GPL code and distribute it with an MIT
license, indeed.  But you can distribute the code *you* write with
an MIT license.

You have to use a license that's compatible with the GPL not because
it's a mere derivative of GPL'd code, but because that code can only
work by linking with GPL'd code.  IIUC this is a theory that hasn't been
tested in court.

        Stefan