Re: Height of Unicode chars is not right

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Height of Unicode chars is not right
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2015 20:05:14 +0300

> From: Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es>
> Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2015 18:52:22 +0200
>
> Rusi <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > So I guess I need to install some comprehensive unicode font like
> > adobe source code pro??
>
> It is worth a try (Deja Vu Sans Mono covers a lot too), altough as
> mentioned on my previous message, Emacs sometimes uses another font when
> the default one encodes the Unicode char. On a discussion with an Emacs
> hacker long time ago he mentioned that maybe such font does not correcty
> report the chars it covers.

Emacs doesn't open fonts it considers for a given character, to avoid
a long delay when many fonts are tried (opening a font is expensive).
Without opening a font, it is impossible to know with 100% certainty
whether a font that declares coverage of some range of characters
indeed includes a glyph for each character in that range.

> On my Emacs v 25.0.50.1 on Kubuntu 15.04, started with -Q and setting
> the default font to "Source Code Pro" or Consolas, "Ume Mincho" is used
> for ∀, but with "Deja Vu Sans Mono" as the default font there is no
> problem.

Your Emacs has the problem reported by the OP solved, so the fonts you
use not necessarily will solve his problem with Emacs 24.4.