Re: Using AltGr as standard modifier key in emacs

From: Shahab Shahsavari Alavidjeh
Subject: Re: Using AltGr as standard modifier key in emacs
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 21:14:46 +0330

Rusi <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tuesday, October 13, 2015 at 10:27:52 PM UTC+5:30, Rusi wrote:
>> On Tuesday, October 13, 2015 at 8:05:33 PM UTC+5:30, Shahab Shahsavari
>> Alavidjeh wrote:

>> > Why I don't simply use my D.E. input method support and keyboard layout
>> > switcher instead?
>> >
>> > I'm currently using it, that's my best option right now, but then I
>> > should switch keyboard layouts whenever I want to run a command in emacs
>> > or even when I want to save a file to disk.

>> Does this work for you (outside of and independent of emacs)?
>>
>> $ setxkbmap -layout "us,ir" -option "grp:lalt_lshift_toggle,grp_led:scroll"
>>
>> If yes then you can see how to arrange for emacs to call that based on mode
>> (switching)?
>
> Just to clarify:
> That command (on my ubuntu 15.4 box) switches from us to ir(ani)¹ when given
> a l-alt, l-shift chord. Same switches back ie its a toggle
>
> ¹ Well actually not sure about the Irani! Emacs says its Arabic!

Thanks for reply,

There's no problem with keyboard switcher, the problem is I want to use
built-in input method in Emacs (Which I can switch it with `(kbd
"\C-\\")'),

Why? because in Emacs everything is keyboard driven and when
I want to copy or kill or save I have to switch back to en layout, press
shortcuts and again switch the layout. By Emacs quail input methods I
can easily use keybindings and shortcuts without switching layout (It's
smart).

Keyboard layouts works fine outside of Emacs, I have my AltGr key
working outside of Emacs and inside of it both correctly working out of
the box and I layout switcher works perfect (though I'm using gnome-3.??
and the keybinding is Super-Space) I can use ir or any other keyboard
layout even inside Emacs (ir stands for Iran, the name of the language
is Farsi or Persian which makes the codename fa_IR just like United
States and English which makes the codename en_US)

So my problem is not that I can not switch keyboard layout, the problem
is that I want to have a working state which I can use 3rd level shift
from inside Emacs input method or a workaround which give me ability to
use Emacs keybindings (C- M- stuff) without changing keyboard layouts.