Re: Emacs in a terminal via qrsh on Sun Grid Engine - text rendering

From: Javier
Subject: Re: Emacs in a terminal via qrsh on Sun Grid Engine - text rendering
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 19:22:52 +0000 (UTC)

Seb James <seb@esfnet.co.uk> wrote:
> I have a problem with emacs used within a terminal on my university's
> high performance computing (HPC) system, which runs Scientific Linux
> with GNU Emacs 23.1.1(*)

It might be a bug in emacs 23, which is very old.  Scientific
linux installations in clusters always have prehistoric versions
of software.  The best is that you get a modern emacs and
build it as a user

wget http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/emacs-24.5.tar.gz
tar xzvf emacs-24.5.tar.gz
cd emacs-24.5
./configure --without-x  --without-sound  --prefix=~/local ; make ; make install

If you will always be running it inside a terminal emulator you can
use --without-x and have a smaller executable

Then you can run your up to date emacs with

~/local/bin/emacs