Re: Question on frame title

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: Question on frame title
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 19:21:27 +0200

On 2015-10-15, at 18:43, Benny Sum <benny.sum@gmail.com> wrote:

> ls is just as an example.  I want to do unix command to get the revision
> control of a file.  Ultimately, here is what I want to do:
>
> Say unix command:
>> info_data filename
> -> revision number of the file from the database
>
> (setq frame-title-format
>  (list (format "%s" (shell-command-to-string(concat "info-data " " %b ")))))
>
> So, I just use ls -1 as an example of unix command.
>
> But the problem is that it seems I don't have filename correctly.  It says I
> can't access the filename.  Did you try the command and see if that works for
> you?

Yes I did - in fact, it was as simple as putting the point in the right
place in your email and pressing C-x C-e;-).

One problem is that you probably want %f, not %b.

A bigger problem there *might* be with your approach is the timing:
apparently, you want the frame title to be updated whenever you switch
buffers, right?  This probably means that you want (:eval ...).  Another
approach could be to use a symbol as frame-title-format (like in (setq
frame-title-format 'foo) and make the variable foo contain what you want
to have displayed.

If there were a `buffer-switch-hook', you could then update it there.
It seems tere is no such thing, but yu could e.g. advise
switch-to-buffer (or maybe some other function).

Hth,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University