Re: Re: Inserting ே and க்ஷ without the dotted circle

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Re: Inserting ே and க்ஷ without the dotted circle
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 19:54:19 +0200

> Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 09:37:53 +0530
> From: Shakthi Kannan <shakthimaan@gmail.com>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> In GNU Emacs, I am able to enter ஸ் + ரீ in a file. But, if I open the
> same file in Gedit or in the browser (Chromium), it gets rendered or
> composed correctly as ஸ்ரீ. I don't see this character in the Ubuntu
> Monospace font that I use in Gedit and the browser.

(FWIW, this renders correctly on my system, but it isn't Ubuntu, and
the font is Latha.)

> Should I create a new glyph for ஸ்ரீ in the font, and add its unicode
> number to the table in tamil-composable-pattern, or, can this
> composition be made possible in GNU Emacs?

My recommendation would be rather to find a font that has good
coverage of the Tamil script, and then customize your default fontset
to tell Emacs to use that font for Tamil characters.  See fontset.el
for many examples of how this can be done.