Re: searching for one person's replies in a gnus mailbox only, and not t

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: searching for one person's replies in a gnus mailbox only, and not the rest.
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2015 00:46:19 +0100

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

> Is it possible to search for one particular persons
> email reply in a gnus mailbox please? I mean so that
> only their replies are shown and no-one else's?
> Currently when I search for somebodies rely, its
> searching through all of the emails displayed, and
> its showing *all* the emails in the mailbox with the
> ones that I'm interested in being kept in date order
> along with the rest.

That is possible with `gnus-summary-limit-to-author'.
But I have experienced a "limit"ation with that
function, and that is that if I open a group with only
say 20 out of a total of 200 posts/mails, then
`gnus-summary-limit-to-author' will operate on only
those 20!

This might be what some people want but I think it is
confusing, so I wrote this to compensate - with this,
all 200 will be filtered regardless how many was
opened with the group to begin with.

(defun gnus-summary-search-author (author)
  "As `gnus-summary-limit-to-author',
only do this on all articles in the group,
not just those displayed."
  (interactive "sFrom: ")
  (gnus-summary-insert-old-articles t) ; ALL
  (gnus-summary-limit-to-author author) )

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573