Re: Saving window config using desktop globals

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Saving window config using desktop globals
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2015 00:34:14 +0100

Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com> writes:

> Thanks for the reply. OK: POV -> My pov is the
> window arrangement. Let's say that my screen is
> split into 4 windows of equal size. I can save that
> arrangement in register 'a' by invoking c-x r w a.
> As I work, I might find myself with another
> arrangement and want to go back to my original.
> I invoke c-x r j a and bingo! There I have it.
>
> Can I save the arrangement that I saved in the
> register 'a in my desktop file? My current setup
> doesn't do that. register-alist is not saved to the
> desktop file with the same items that I view from
> *Help* when I invoke c-h v register-alist.
>
> I appreciate the code you provided. But my main
> concern is to preserve a window layout so that when
> I close emacs and restart or load another desktop
> and reload the first I desktop can see the
> same layout.
>
> I hope that this narrative is more clear. regards

Aha! Well, what is in a register? Is it data like
any other?

(insert (format "\n;; %s" (get-register 0)))
;; (#<window-configuration> #<marker at 1327 in window-new.el>)

If it is, just write it to a file, next time, load it,
put it in the register, there you go.

If data in registers is special I don't know. If it
is, and there aren't standard methods to get it,
that's bad, but I don't think it is that bad. If there
are methods, use them, it will just be another layer
in between, otherwise the same solution as above.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573