Re: Saving window config using desktop globals

From: Tim Johnson
Subject: Re: Saving window config using desktop globals
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2015 16:28:16 -0900

* Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se> [151213 16:08]:
> Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com> writes:
>
> > I've been using desktop-save-mode for years, but
> > I have not tried to save a register. register-alist
> > is being saved in the .desktop file, but window
> > configurations are not.
>
> Perhaps you should tell them about it. Even tho
> I don't like the idea in principle the idea is in line
> with the general idea. So people who like the general
> idea should also like such an addition.
>
> > I will think about this for a while, and probably
> > repost with a better subject line. thnx
>
> There is always the option of not shutting down your
> computer. Then you get a lot of uptime(1) to show off.
> The Raspberry Pi is perfectly capable of doing editing
> with Emacs. It doesn't make a sound (no fan for the
> HD) so you might as well just leave it on. It will
> solve the register problem without a single line
> of Elisp.

   I've written my own system that works with multiple .desktop
   files which handle multiple projects, for me it is not an issue
   of uptime, it's about switching projects...

   Furthermore, a flask project (as one example, could have two
   dozen or more source files).

   BTW: I've settled on emacs as an alternative to vim, which I've
   used for projects for many years. Vim restores window layouts
   quite easily. Vim uses TABS, but I think the usage of registers
   for window layouts (including saving and retrieving them) could
   trump the use of tabs and in the long run make things easier to
   manage.

--
Tim