Replacing huge hidden selection when pasting text

From: Alexandre Oberlin
Subject: Replacing huge hidden selection when pasting text
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2015 17:01:40 -0800 (PST)

I have stopped hoping that the current maintainers of Emacs still have an ounce
of common sense. How on Earth can it be possible (and quite easy) to allow
replacing a huge hidden selection when pasting text without any warning ? I
have lost large amounts of data with this incredibly stupid behavior. There
isn't even a warning when saving a file which has shrunk a lot, like there once
was. How can I DEFINITELY avoid overwriting an invisible selection in all
versions of Emacs?