Re: Replacing huge hidden selection when pasting text

From: Robert Thorpe
Subject: Re: Replacing huge hidden selection when pasting text
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2016 02:10:26 +0000

Alexandre Oberlin <alxobr@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sunday, January 3, 2016 at 1:29:04 AM UTC+1, Michael Heerdegen wrote:
>> Nobody is forced to use Emacs.  If you dislike it's philosophy, use
>> something different you like more.  Many people like Emacs because of
>> its philosophy.
> I like emacs philosophy and have used it for ages. What I am far from
> liking as much is the philosophy of its current maintainers. How about
> starting up their own editor and leave emacs alone?

I suggested that delete-selection-mode could be the problem when you
first posted your question.

For minor-modes Emacs has behaved like this for a long time.  You have
to read the documention.  For example, global-font-lock mode is not
obeyed by Info buffers.  That's not immediately obvious, but it's been
like that for as long as I've used Emacs (since 20.3 in ~2000).  Emacs
allows you to activate minor-modes that may not make sense with the
current major-mode or other minor-modes.

I think others haven't had your problem because your setup is uncommon.
You want the region to work in the classic Emacs manner where it's not
visibly shown on-screen and it always exists.  But, you want delete to
work as it does in today's MS Windows programs where it deletes the
selection.  Most people want either old-Emacs behaviour or Windows
behaviour.  Myself, I use transient-mark-mode but not
delete-selection-mode.

The documentation could be clearer though and a warning could be
issued.  Perhaps send a bug report asking for a warning.

BR,
Robert Thorpe