Re: customize-face + inherit

From: Yuri D'Elia
Subject: Re: customize-face + inherit
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2016 12:36:39 +0100

On Sun, Mar 06 2016, Drew Adams wrote:
>> color-theme.el (https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ColorThemes)
>
> Just a shot in the dark, from scanning the code:
> Can you customize `color-theme-illegal-faces' to exclude the
> face in question, so color-theme does not affect it?
>
> E.g., what happens if you change it from the default value of
> "^w3-" to "^w3-\\|message-header-subject" or similar?

I'd rather not disable theming for these faces.

In all the cases, when I'm happy with a theme, I just want to add minor
tweaks to an existing face while leaving existing attributes as-is.

I didn't read color-theme.el, but my guess is that it doesn't see nil as
an explicit value to set. You can see the same behavior while trying to
set :bold nil as opposed to :weight normal.

It's not such as a big problem for me, as after loading the theme I
generally override complex faces (that I want to change between
background modes, for example) directly with color-theme-install-faces
in cumulative mode.

But when I try out a new mode, my first go-to approach is to test the
face parameters with customize. In this case, you're baffled as
unchecking a parameter might will not override the theme.