Re: pari.el : Process stty in windows ?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: pari.el : Process stty in windows ?
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2016 17:43:46 +0200

> From: Ramare <ramare@invalid>
> Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2016 08:17:05 +0100
>
> > Please explain why you need that command, maybe there's an equivalent
> > solution.
>
> I should have been clearer. onlret is not my main problem, but the fact
> that I don't know how to glue two commands.

Ah, that...  This has a simple solution.

> The user types something in emacs, pari.el sends it to gp and does not
> want it to be echoed back. This is the reason of
>

> (start-process process-name process-buffer-name
>                        shell-file-name
>                        shell-command-switch
>                        (concat "stty -echo ; " cmd))
>
> But we get the answer "stty: invalid argument ";"".

You need to quote the whole command, like so:

  (concat "\"stty -echo ; " cmd "\"")

(Btw, if you want to invoke a shell command, why do you use
start-process?  Why not use shell-command instead (if the command ends
with a "&", it will be run asynchronously)?

> With the even simpler
>
> (shell-command "gp --emacs")
>
> emacs starts and exits the process immediately, cleanly as if an "exit"
> command had been entered. The only glitch though is that no prompt appears.

I don't know what is "gp" and how does it invoke Emacs.