Encoding multibyte strings

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Encoding multibyte strings
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2016 15:09:55 +0800

Hi there.

I'm trying to get from this:

陈冬梅

to this:

CHARSET=UTF-8;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:=E9=99=88=E5=86=AC=E6=A2=85

Assuming that the original characters were in utf-8, of course. So that
陈 is =E9=99=88, and so on.

I got this string by looking at a Vcard export from the Contacts app on
my Android phone. I'm trying to take an Emacs buffer and turn it into a
*.vcf card file to import into the same app -- basically I'm trying to
reverse-engineer the VCard encoding format so I can create a file to
feed to my phone.

I'm 99.9% sure that Emacs already comes with functions that will produce
my escaped coded string, but after many adventures with C-h f (during
which I learned quite a few unrelated tricks) I haven't found it. Can
someone enlighten me as to what the simplest way to do this is?

Thanks!