erc connection problems

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: erc connection problems
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2016 15:20:32 -0000

Often but not always I get the following error when trying to start erc:
Connecting to irc.freenode.net:6667...
open-network-stream: make client process failed: connection timed out, :name, erc-irc.freenode.net-6667, :buffer, nil, :host, irc.freenode.net, :service, 6667, :nowait, nil

This usually happens with irc.dal.net server but sometimes with other ones. Is this and irc network problem or is there something I can do in my .emacs to alleviate the problem? Specifically is "... connection timed out" caused by something in my setup? Usually the firefox chatzilla plugin works when erc does not.

Thanks in advance for any help or at least insight into the problem,

Ed