Re: Spelling correction keyboard fumble

From: Loris Bennett
Subject: Re: Spelling correction keyboard fumble
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2016 15:20:54 -0000

Hi Joost,

Joost Kremers <joost.m.kremers@gmail.com> writes:

> Loris Bennett wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> In a buffer using flyspell with a German dictionary, I had just typed
>>
>>   In adfrc.sh steht
>>
>> when I had a keyboard fumble and hit some random keys.  The above got
>> changed to
>>
>>   In Afrika.sh steht
>>
>> In *Messages* I found:
>>
>>   Corrections: Africa Africa Aelfric defrock unfrock offtrack adfrc Africa
>> Aelfric
>>
>> Does anyone know what function I called and, correspondingly, which keys
>> I must have hit?
>
> Probably `C-;`, which is bound to
> `flyspell-auto-correct-previous-word'.

Yes, I think you are probably right.

> You know, you can always use `C-h l` (view-lossage) to find out what
> keys you just pressed. In Emacs 25, it even displays the commands the
> keys you pressed are bound to.

Thanks for reminding me about lossage.  That's very much a passive part
of my Emacs vocabulary.

>> And why is the list of corrections in English?
>
> Mmm... The obvious answer would be that `ispell-local-dictionary` is set
> to "english" or some equivalent, but given that the corrected word is
> "Afrika", which is obviously German, that can't be the case. So put me
> down for a "beats me".

Trying out 'C-;' and switching dictionaries around between English and
German, I can't reproduce my original observation, so probably as well
as the keyboard fumble there was a bit of eye and/or brain fumble going
on as well ...

Cheers,

Loris