Re: Copying .emacs.d

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Copying .emacs.d
Date: Thu, 26 May 2016 09:40:18 +0200

Rusi <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> Is it ok to copy over .emacs.d from one
> machine to another (assume similar OS)?
>
> I am specifically thinking of packages and
> elpa directory -- is there some kind of
> fingerprinting or is it legitimate?
>
> Context: I'd like to setup one minimal box
> for my students and then they can copy over
> .emacs.d from there to their laptops

There are several things to consider.

With respect to technology:

    1) If the packages save data in .emacs.d
       there is no saying how specific that
       data is.

    2) The software is compiled - someone else
       can answer, if the Emacs byte compiler
       take external factors into account or if
       it is boxed to an Emacs version.

    3) The state (metadata) of local package
       manager will at best refer to events
       that took place on another computer.

But more importantly:

If this has to do with students, wouldn't it be
a good thing for them to learn how to install
a program from the Emacs software archives?
Because it is very easy, and useful, not just
for your specific task but for future
Emacs use!

                   - so far: 40 Blogomatic articles -