Re: Ignoring unknown mode `GNUmakefile-mode'

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: Ignoring unknown mode `GNUmakefile-mode'
Date: 27 Jun 2016 09:56:59 GMT

Dan Hitt wrote:
> I have a file whose name is not 'makefile', nor 'Makefile', nor 'GNUmakefile'.
>
> If i visit it using emacs (v 24.5.1, xubuntu 16.04), the modeline
> correctly indicates GNUmakefile.
>
> But if i add
> # -*- GNUmakefile -*-
> at the top of the file, i get a message:
>     Ignoring unknown mode `GNUmakefile-mode'.

The name displayed in the mode line is not necessarily the actual name
of the major mode. For that, you should inspect the (buffer-local) value
of the variable `major-mode'. Do `C-h v major-mode RET` to check it out.

--
Joost Kremers                                   joostkremers@fastmail.fm
EN:SiS(9)