Re: Font selection algorithm / how do fonts work / what do you suggest f

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Font selection algorithm / how do fonts work / what do you suggest for mono font?
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2016 05:36:03 +0300

> From: Oleksandr Gavenko <gavenkoa@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2016 22:04:14 +0300
>
> On 2016-09-25, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> I don't see much changes in font selection algorithm.

The algorithm didn't change, but we changed the default fontset to
better cover various ranges that were not covered well before.

> Actually I have a problem, as I wrote ``terminus`` font missed some glyphs and
> I expect that:
>
>   (set-fontset-font nil nil "-misc-fixed-*-*-*--13-*-*-*-*-*-*-*")
>
> was as fallback. But it has no effect. Fix with range resolve issue:
>
>   ;; MODIFIER LETTER is not present in terminus, this includes ˌːˈ characters.
>   (set-fontset-font nil '(#x02C0 . #x02FF)
>
> Do I need file bug or I am wrong with (set-fontset-font nil nil ...)?

On my system these characters display well by default.  If the problem
is that these characters are displayed, but you don't like the font
Emacs selects, I think that's something you should customize 9as you
did), and not a bug you should report.