Emacs 25 modules

From: Joey Ezechiels
Subject: Emacs 25 modules
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2016 23:06:57 +0200

Hello there,

I've written an Emacs 25 module that uses a dynamic library in order to
function. In order to verify that the module loads correctly, I log every
function I register in the module, and these logs appear in *Messages*.
Most of my work has been done on an OS X machine and there Emacs 25 will
load the module just fine, no issues there.

But recently I've been trying to get it to work on Linux, and there I just
get completely garbled output in the spot where the log messages should be.
Not even proper text.
Needless to say, the functionality my module is supposed to provide is not
available.

Just to make sure it is not the dynamic library causing the garbling, I've
created some small programs that use the very same .so/.dylib file as the
Emacs module uses. When I run those programs, they work as they should,
both in Linux and in OS X.
To eliminate another factor: Both on OS X and on Linux I have compiled
Emacs 25 from source with the --with-modules flag passed to the configure
script.

So my current hypothesis is that somehow Emacs, while built correctly,
doesn't load the module correctly on Linux, but I'm stumped as to what
could cause that.
I would really appreciate any help I could get on this. The reason I'm
posting here rather than filing a bug report is that I'm not entirely
convinced it's a bug, either. I certainly have no in-depth knowledge,
though I can reproduce the issue flawlessly every time in my Ubuntu VM.

Met vriendelijke groet / Best regards,
Joey Ezechiëls