Re: Emacs doesn't see the most recent version of Company Mode hosted on

From: egarrulo
Subject: Re: Emacs doesn't see the most recent version of Company Mode hosted on Elpa
Date: Thu, 18 May 2017 22:28:01 +0200

On 18/05/17 21:14, Kaushal Modi wrote:
On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 1:21 AM <egarrulo@gmail.com
<mailto:egarrulo@gmail.com>> wrote:

    (defvar package-enable-at-startup nil)
    (require 'package)
    (add-to-list 'package-archives '("melpa-stable" .
    "http://stable.melpa.org/packages/";))
    (add-to-list 'package-archives '("org" . "http://orgmode.org/elpa/";) t)
    (setq package-user-dir (expand-file-name "~/elpa/"))
    (package-initialize)

You need to setq the package-user-dir *before* calling (require
'package).  Otherwise emacs will first create the elpa/ dir at the
default location at the time of requiring.

In addition, simply delete the archives/ dir inside package-user-dir;
emacs will just rebuild that from scratch without complaining.

Then finally restart emacs and then see if the issue gets resolved.

Unfortunately your solution does not work, but thanks for your help.

I think that I will look for ways to rebuild the package directory from scratch.