Re: Japanese input in Linux environment (fcitx-mozc)

From: Héctor Lahoz
Subject: Re: Japanese input in Linux environment (fcitx-mozc)
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2017 10:02:06 +0200

Hi. Perhaps this should be a reply to the first mail but I lost it.
Sorry.

Just some thoughts about this. This is a very common problem. I wish I
could offer some specific solution but I can't since I don't write
Japanese. But I do write Spanish, English, German and occasionally
Greek and Cyrillic.

This task, change input between different languages, is not Emacs
specific. Emacs is not the only application in the world and probably
other applications will need this too. As I said it is a very common
task. So it should not be provided by Emacs itself but by some
underlying system, be it GTK, X11, or even the operating system.

Emacs should just communicate with that underlying system
and use its services.

So I think the right direction is to look at the X input method
architecture. It seems there are some newer solutions like IBus or
SCIM. I can't tell how or up to what extent Emacs uses any of these.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_Input_Method