Re: Changing the factor used in universal arugment

From: Narendra Joshi
Subject: Re: Changing the factor used in universal arugment
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2017 10:58:40 +0530

Udyant Wig <udyant.wig@gmail.com> writes:

> On 06/24/2017 08:36 PM, Narendra Joshi wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> How can I change the factor by which universal argument changes on
>> repetition from 4 to say 2? For say having more granularity there.
>>
>> Best,
>
> What precisely do you have in mind?  What do you want to achieve?  If
> the default value of C-u, which is 4, is too blunt an instrument for
> your purpose, have you tried the arbitrary numeric prefixes, say, C-3 or
> M-5, just to specify two?
I was trying to achieve the following:

I changed `prefix-command-preserve-state-hook' to momentarily enable
`linum-relative-mode` on C-u, this would help me guess how many times I
need to repeatedly press C-u get to a specific line. With a
multiplicative factor of 4, I found it hard to get to every line
easily.

I think I should just use something else for my use case. Maybe
`avy-goto-line`.

Best,
--
Narendra Joshi