RE: Using "Emacs Configure" **and** modifying .emacs

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Using "Emacs Configure" **and** modifying .emacs
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2017 11:06:53 -0700 (PDT)

> > (IMHO, *everyone* should use variable `custom-file', to
> > keep Customize away from their init file.)
>
> I'm doing fine using customize and manual changes to .emacs.

I guess you mean that you use Customize and make manual
changes to your init file, but you do not use `custom-file'.

> Emacs keeps all it's changes in one place in the .emacs
> without any special care on my part.  So far anyway.

Yes, it does.  And provided you make your manual changes only
in _other_ places in the file, the two of you can cohabit that
space copacetically.  Certainly doable.  Been there; done that.

But is it generally a good idea to let a program modify a file
that you also edit manually?

IMO, that's just asking for trouble, like using the same
container for cleaning fluid and fruit juice, making sure to
wash it carefully in between.  Doable.  But not worth it.

And it provides NO benefit (that I can see).  What reason is
there NOT to just point to a separate sandbox for Customize
to play with and mess around in?  Simple, one-time.  End of
story.  No?