Re: CVE-2017-14482 - Red Hat Customer Portal

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: CVE-2017-14482 - Red Hat Customer Portal
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2017 14:27:59 -0600

ken wrote:
> Many people, including myself, have systems with package managers... which
> have dependencies... all of which make upgrading outside of package
> management unfeasible.

That's great!  Using distributions with security teams much simplifies
things for the end user.  Otherwise every user would need to closely
follow each and every one of the zillion software projects installed
on their system.  Software packaging makes this simpler.

In which case the best answer for people using pre-packaged emacs is
to install the security upgrade from their distribution which includes
the fix.

Spot checking things now (some days later) and it looks like the major
distributions I looked at have already released fixed versions
available for people using those distros to install.  Just upgrade to
them.  Life is good!

Bob