Re: How can I make hl-line mode not override the color of rainbow-mode?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: How can I make hl-line mode not override the color of rainbow-mode?
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2017 10:23:23 +0300

> From: Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2017 12:02:34 +0700
>
> (I wish there was a way to make overlays interact better with text
> properties. hl-line takes precedence over pretty much any background
> color highlighting, including but not limited to hi-lock, rainbow-mode
> and Magit branch and tag decorations.

This could be alleviated by using less intrusive face attributes for
the hl-line face.  For example, one could use underline, or
bold/slant, or box, or something else that doesn't override the
colors, while still making the current line stand out on display.

> The intuitive expectation, for hl-line, would be that it should
> override background color only if it comes directly or indirectly
> from the default face.)

I think I disagree, but then I don't use hl-line in my routine usage,
so maybe my opinion isn't worth much.