Re: Disable menu bar mode

From: Rusi
Subject: Re: Disable menu bar mode
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2017 17:45:33 -0800 (PST)

On Tuesday, December 19, 2017 at 3:10:46 AM UTC+5:30, B. T. Raven wrote:
> On 12/13/2017 7:55 PM, Rusi wrote:
> > Doc for menu-bar-mode says (among other things):
> >
> > | If called from Lisp, enable Menu Bar mode if ARG is omitted or nil.
> >
> > That this seems backwards is one thing
> >
> > The other is that neither of these seem to work (ie turn off menu-bar)
> >
> > (menu-bar-mode t)
> > (menu-bar-mode nil)
> >
> > This does:
> >
> > (menu-bar-mode 0)
> >
> > Can someone confirm?
> >

> > Emacs version 25.1.1
> >

> On 25.3 it seems to be working as advertised.
>
> "
> (menu-bar-mode &optional ARG)
>
> Toggle display of a menu bar on each frame (Menu Bar mode).
> With a prefix argument ARG, enable Menu Bar mode if ARG is
> positive, and disable it otherwise.  If called from Lisp, enable
> Menu Bar mode if ARG is omitted or nil.
> "
>

> You can turn it off with menubar > options > show/hide and then on by
> evaluating (menu-bar-mode [nil])
> or
> M-x menu-bar-mode
>
> (menu-bar-mode 0) evaluated turns it off because 0 is not positive.
>
> Ed

My init has
(scroll-bar-mode 0)
(tool-bar-mode 0)
(setq inhibit-startup-message t)
(setq initial-scratch-message nil)
;(fringe-mode 1)
;(menu-bar-mode 0)

Has been so for years…

[The menu-bar-mode was probably commented out after I started using org mode]

IOW the complaint is with the confusing and incomplete documentation:
«nil = true (turn on)?? So what is false then?»