Re: auto-fill in message mode filling with prefix "> "

From: Robert Thorpe
Subject: Re: auto-fill in message mode filling with prefix "> "
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2018 20:20:24 +0000

HASM <hasm@example.invalid> writes:

> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>
>>> Maybe use the old filladapt (worked great on XEmacs) while those bugs
>>> get fixed.
>
>> For the moment, I have turned off auto-fill and simply fill the
>> paragraphs when I'm done.  Paragraph filling seems to work just fine.
>
> Emacs filling is different from filladapt in one annoying way, even
> running with -Q thus probably not my setup.
>
> If you type something like
>
> line1 word1 word2
>   indentedLine2 word1 word2
> line3 word1 word2
>
> and then, with the cursor anywhere on line3, invoke fill-paragrah, you
> end up with:
>
> line1 word1 word2 indentedLine2 word1 word2 line3 word1 word2
>
> whereas, filladapt leaves it as displayed.  And yes, emacs auto-fill
> also doesn't handle line tags properly.

If you want indented paragraphs then you can use
paragraph-indent-text-mode or paragraph-indent-minor-mode.  That will
make fill-paragraph behave itself in this case.

However, AFAIK, out-of-the-box Emacs provides no way to deal with both
types of paragraphs in one buffer.  You have to pick either space
separated paragraphs or indented paragraphs.

BR,
Robert Thorpe