Re: Any way to control which articles Gnus summary shows by default?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Any way to control which articles Gnus summary shows by default?
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2018 16:48:26 +0200

Michael Heerdegen wrote:

> No, I didn't try, I don't want to. I'm quite
> sure doing it in a way that it "works"
> somehow is easy. Doing it right so that
> maintainers can be sure it does the right
> thing under any circumstances is the
> hard part.

I don't think it'd be such a big difference,
and they could use the code as a starting point
and change the details if need be.

> The Gnus sources are complicated, so it's
> better you know what you are doing.

Gnus source is very difficult to read because
the functions are so long. I hear this is
because Elisp is slow, and Gnus is slow, so
making it (the source) more modular would slow
it down even further with lots of calls back
and forth.

Even so, this should all amount to, if this
feature is solved in a short way, this short
function or piece of code would just be
incorporated into a longer function that
already is, and the developers should know
already where to put it.

Gnus is complicated as a whole but boil it down
it is just the same Elisp all day every day
that does the job and I cannot see why it
should be anything else.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573