RE: Path of tool-bar icons

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Path of tool-bar icons
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2018 14:47:39 -0700 (PDT)

<user looks for "icon" instead of what Emacs expects: "image">

> > > This is a difficult thing in Emacs: it has
> > > its own (strong) culture and its lexicon
> > > sometimes differs in subtle ways from
> > > people's expectations.
> >
> > There are a couple of such cases but it isn't
> > epidemic like some people like to exaggerate,
> > often to push the "Emacs is difficult to learn"
> > notion, likewise exaggerated. There was a guy on
> > this list who made a big hullabaloo of some
> > window/frame issue for example...
>
> I think it *is* a hurdle. I don't think changing Emacs'
> culture is a solution to that (nor that it's desirable,
> for that). But I do think it helps being aware of it.

1. `C-h r'

`i glossary'
(or `g glossary', if you know there is a node named Glossary)

If you want to suggest a common term to add to the glossary,
to xref a more traditional Emacs term, even if the two are
not exactly synonymous, you can do that: `M-x report-emacs-bug'.

For example, search the glossary for "paste" and you'll
find this entry:

  Cut and Paste
      see Glossary--Killing, and see Glossary--Yanking

Those are links, after "see".  They should take you to the
glossary entries "killing" and "yanking", respectively.

Unfortunately, a regression was apparently introduced in
Emacs 24.5 - those links now take you elsewhere.  I just
filed bug #31130 for this.

(The fact that this regression has apparently gone
unnoticed since Emacs 24.5 maybe indicates how little use
people make of at least some glossary entries, if not the
glossary itself.)

2. There is also this page on Emacs Wiki:
https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsJargon

3. However, I'm not sure that this problem of
looking-for-"icon"-instead-of-"image" is really a
problem of Emacs using uncommon jargon.  I'd think
that it's kinda natural to look for "image" if "icon"
finds no hits wrt the tool bar.