Re: ESC vs Meta for shifted keys

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: ESC vs Meta for shifted keys
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2018 14:31:36 +0300

> Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2018 14:58:23 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com>
>
> > I think it's just a bug: when left-word and right-word were introduced
> > only one pair of bindings was updated and not the other.
>
> I'm not sure it's a bug.  My guess is that it was by design
> (for whatever reason).  Perhaps Eli or someone else can
> enlighten us.
>
> I kinda doubt it was an oversight.  All of those bindings
> are together, and the person who changed the Meta bindings
> likely searched for `forward-word', not "[M-right]" or
> "(kbd "M-<right>")"...

I don't remember why I bypassed ESC <right> etc.  Maybe I wanted to
change as few bindings as possible.  Maybe I thought users of R2L
script are unlikely to invoke these commands via ESC.  Maybe I just
made a mistake.

If someone is annoyed by the difference (which should only be visible
in bidirectional text), feel free to make ESC do the same as Meta in
this case.