Re: help-gnu-emacs Digest, Vol 188, Issue 10

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: help-gnu-emacs Digest, Vol 188, Issue 10
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2018 10:29:19 +0300

> From: Baldero Mendoza <bzy711@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2018 21:43:24 -0400
>
> Ok. I'm nobody's guru in anything, but I have used - and continue to use -
> both of these utilities for years now.

Nothing wrong with that.

> Normally with each new update of emacs nothing much changes with these two
> in my usage of them.
> For org mode, 1) I open Emacs, 2) if I have a question with org mode I do "
> C h i" to go to info, 3) then "m", 4) then " org" followed by "tab" to fill
> it out, then " enter". This used to to take me to something of an org mode
> manual within info.
> Not any more. Now all I get is " [ no match ] ".

Please tell more about your current Emacs version and about your
upgrade process.  What is the current Emacs version, and what was the
one you had before?  How did you install the new version, and on what
OS?

Also, do you have the INFOPATH environment variable set, and if so,
what is its value?  What is the value of the Info-directory-list
variable inside Emacs (you can show it using the "M-:" command)?

Finally, if you do "C-h i", what do you see in the node "dir" that
this displays?  Please show its entire contents, and please also tell
what is the value of default-directory in the *Info* buffer showing
that node.

I presume that the manuals you cannot find are somewhere on your
system, but Info is misconfigured, and so doesn't see them.  The
questions above are designed to find the reasons for that.