Re: How to commit hunks using VC?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: How to commit hunks using VC?
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2018 17:17:46 -0400

Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> writes:
[...]
> Please note that the "do ... undo" method is only required with Magit to
> commit "a change that is is finer than a single line".

Yuri Khan <yurivkhan@gmail.com> writes:
[...]
> Essentially, yes, but do/undo operates on line level, cp on file
> level, and stash/unstash on the whole working copy.
>
> Also, the situation where you have one version of the line on the
> branch, a different one in the working copy, and need to stage a third
> one that differs from both of the above, is rare.

Just to clarify: I did not intend to discourage people from using Magit
or any other option they like.  I just described a hack I wrote before
Git even existed (and that I threw away since), and how to do something
similar within the confines of the actually available VC, as requested
by the OP.

> I have a genuine interest on why some people avoid Magit.

I don't avoid it: I just got used to using the command line for most Git
operations (probably dating back to using the command like for Bzr for
lack of an equivalent to the PCL-CVS that I maintained before).

        Stefan