Re: [OFFTOPIC] Re: Invoking a function from a list of functions

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: [OFFTOPIC] Re: Invoking a function from a list of functions
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2018 01:15:41 +0700

On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 12:21 AM Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > In my view python does it right(er) than elisp
>
> That's debatable: the Unicode Standard says to act according to
> canonical equivalence only in text, whereas the above are symbol
> names.  We do display them the same (if the font supports that), but
> we aren't under any obligation to map them to the same symbols, IMO.

Standard Annex 31 deals with identifiers in programming languages, and
recommends considering identifiers equivalent if they are the same
under Normalization Form C for case-sensitive languages (such as
Python and Elisp).

(It suggests using Normalization Form KC for case-insensitive
languages, although I do not see how compatibility decomposition is
similar to case folding.)

> > ELISP>  (list Α A)
> > ("hi" "there")
>
> Why bad?  Those characters are not canonically equivalent.

They are not even compatibility equivalent. Homoglyphic, yes, but not
equivalent in any way.

> If you
> want to go by compatibility equivalence, you will enter a slippery
> slope, where, for example, Ⅰ and 1 will yield the same symbol or even
> the same number.

No they won’t. Compatibility decomposition of U+2160 ROMAN NUMERAL ONE
is U+0073 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER I.