Re: Suggestions for 1L computer to run Emacs 2019

From: Van L
Subject: Re: Suggestions for 1L computer to run Emacs 2019
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2019 12:00:42 +1100

>> What alternatives are there to the following:
>>
>> - Mac Mini (late 2018)
>> - Lenovo Tiny (Model P 330)
>
> I think you'll want to be more clear in what you're looking for.

What I have is the Mac Mini (late 2009) and on to it GNU/Emacs runs.
Happily. The hardware consists of a twocore cpu, 8Gb ram, 256Gb SSD,
gigabit networking.

But, the operating system is no longer served as
upgradeable. Sadly. Why? my guess is the Metal™ subsystem for
accelerated graphics display won't interface with the vintage Nvidia
device driver, a marketing problem, not a software engineering
problem.

Having read [1] if I were to pick a Mac Mini cpu for GNU/Emacs, is the
i3 cpu better than i5, i7?

I am looking for hardware with "fit and finish" improving on what I
have and for the operating system to be free and open where possible.

System76, HP, ChromeOS suppliers satisfy the 1L constraint but they
don't look serious like, not even, the Apple TV puck.

> A cubietruck definitely fits the 1L constraint and runs a recent Emacs
> just fine, and there are hordes of similar little beasts out there.

The cubieboard is like the Raspberry Pi, some have the Mathematica
package. The look of them is like the fork in Toy Story 4.

--- Footnotes

[1] https://wp.me/p51SSp-dmc

--
© 2019 Van L
  gpg using EEF2 37E9 3840 0D5D 9183  251E 9830 384E 9683 B835