Re: Emacs gnus (tls) IMAP connection problems with Google

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Emacs gnus (tls) IMAP connection problems with Google
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2019 12:45:42 +0100

>> I think I has been able to solve this issue
>> after several years of getting that error.
>> The solution:
>>
>>     (require 'tls)
>
> I spoke to soon. I still get the
> error message.
>
> The error this solved was the one that didn't
> come with a message, the one when the
> `gnus-group-get-new-news' would stall
> indefinitely and one would have to do C-g
> (somtimes twice, or even a couple of times)
> before one try finally went thru.
>
> On the positive side, that error was ten
> times as frequent and annoying, so I suppose
> one shouldn't complain.

OK, after working great yesterday (yesternight)
when I today tried to get my mail it wouldn't
work *at all*! "Authentication failed"!
This has never happened before! As has been
evident from square one, I have absolutely no
clue what's going on.

After messing around with the files I got it to
work again, *but* in the old state where I get
to "get mail" repeatedly before it works, and
I do get the old error message [1] now
and then.

All of this is probably of no value to anyone
because I have an old system and an old Emacs.
I should upgrade it all but I only have
everything on a single SD card, 10+ years of
work on my very own all but complete system
(WRT to the interface and UX), and I don't dare
upgrade anything before I clone the system,
which I can't as I have only one computer,
which, of course, runs the very system!

Well, hell, I'll solve it someday, God willing.

As for a new Emacs, I did manually install it
from source (if "manually" is the correct word
since it is super-automated and requires no
skills whatsoever, compliments to the chef) but
all my 100+ Elisp files were a complete mess on
the new Emacs, and in particular, I couldn't
get Emacs-w3m to work.

Anyway I look forward to solving all those
issues one day, God willing.

PS. If this Manny's Computer News broadcast
    wasn't interesting for you to watch, then
    why didn't you simply switch off your
    terminal emulator to do some push-ups
    instead? DS.

[1] gnutls.c: [0] (Emacs) fatal error: Error in the pull function.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573