Re: `font-lock-add-keywords' works... sometimes

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: `font-lock-add-keywords' works... sometimes
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2019 17:51:28 +0100

Michael Heerdegen wrote:

> This works:
>
> (progn
>   (font-lock-add-keywords 'text-mode
>      '(("yellow" . font-lock-function-name-face))
>      t)
>   (font-lock-ensure))
>
> But I don't know much about the details.

Thank you, but I don't have `font-lock-ensure',
probably another issue with my too-old
Emacs [1].

This has happened so many times by now I feel
like I'm virtually trolling. I'm not posting
anymore before I get an update, this is
getting ridiculous.

Still, it can be interesting to understand why
my identical code works for Message mode, but
not for Text mode?

BTW what is the proper "notation" for an
Emacs major mode? Personally, I'm all ascii
with lowercase and dashes, I even do that with
my file system, e.g. ~/tools/torque-wrench or
~/fighters/juan-manuel-marquez, so I'd like to
denote them (the major modes) for ex
"message-mode" and "text-mode". But in the help
(.e.g., `C-h M' when I type this) it is
"Message mode", not message-mode, so I suppose
I'm technically incorrect.

PS.Too little sleep guys. I hope this makes
   sense in the sense that you at least
   understand it :) DS.

[1] GNU Emacs 24.4.1
    (arm-unknown-linux-gnueabihf, GTK+ Version
    3.14.5) of 2017-09-13 on mb-lxc-01,
    modified by Debian

--
underground experts united