license and where to safely store all code (was: Re: todo-did.el complet

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: license and where to safely store all code (was: Re: todo-did.el complete rewrite)
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2019 19:25:47 +0100

Van L wrote:

>> The last couple of days I have posted tons
>> of code (of various degrees of advancedness,
>> this is probably the most advanced) - the
>> last couple of days I have posted tons of
>> code and not received a single comment :(
>
> You've posted more than 15 LoC and not
> specified a licens

Is that where the shoe hurts?

OK, so how does it work to add a license? Do you
just type/yank it as a comment first thing in
the source file?

I have by now ~116 Elisp files! [1] A couple of
them should probably be thrown away as they are
either unaware-of duplicates of what is already
in Emacs, or just plain bad ideas. And many are
just configs with no originality/creativity to
them - well, not in terms of the code anyway :)

So it'll be a smaller number of files, for
sure. Still, surely I don't have to put
I license block in every single one of them?

Is is enough with a LICENSE file in the
same directory?

As for me, the license might as well be "Here is
a bunch of code, do whatever you want with it,
but the author would very much appreciate
comments (mails) on how to improve it or just
a note if you found it useful."

And speaking of files, anyone has a good idea
where to dump all this Elisp? I don't know how
long the university will allow my student (ha!)
home page to remain untouched on their SunOS!

BTW this is a general "problem" for me, I also
have probably as much zsh, some other code
[stats from 2015: 3], my home page...

Where do you guys put all your stuff?

[1] $ ls -1 ~/.emacs.d/emacs-init/**/*.el | wc -l
    116

[2] http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/emacs-init/

[3] http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/code.txt

--