RE: About early-init right use.

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: About early-init right use.
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2019 10:57:59 -0700 (PDT)

> > Seems a bit contradictory wrt "variables that affect frame
> > appearance".  What variables are we talking about, if they
> > are not "related to GUI features"?
>
> If you can improve the wording it would help.  Indeed "related" is not
> precise enough.
>
> Since the GUI is initialized after loading the early-init.el, you can't
> (yet) *ask* Emacs about the GUI (e.g. `window-system` will give you the
> wrong info, frame sizes won't be right either, ...), but you can *tell*
> Emacs about GUI-related settings like `(setq default-frame-alist ...)`.
>
> You also can't use your installed packages from early-init.el because
> they haven't been activated yet (tho you can manually activate them by
> calling `package-activate-all`, of course).

Maybe say that.  If there is a good reason why you
would define some "variables that affect frame
appearance" in the early file then maybe provide
that.

It's not because one _can_ define variables there
that one should do so, in general.  But if there
are particular cases where it might be _better_
to do it in the early file then maybe mention them.

In general, it needs to be made clear why you might
better put something in the early file (and perhaps
give some examples), and state the general guideline
that otherwise you should put everything in the
"late" file.