Re: C style alist question?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: C style alist question?
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2019 09:48:19 +0300

> Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2019 05:26:38 +0200
> From: Ergus <spacibba@aol.com>
>
> I usually edit code in two styles; the linux kernel style and now the
> emacs style. But I have seen that there are some mismatches between the
> style alists and the "official" styles.

Sorry, I don't understand what are "style alists" and the "official
styles".  Please elaborate on that.

> For example:
>
> When I open an emacs' C source code I see details like the fill-column
> is 70 instead of 78.
>
> In the kernel style the indent-tabs-mode is not set to t.

Our style is defined by the .dir-locals.el file you see in the
repository.  indent-tabs-mode is t only in Emacs Lisp mode.

> So, is it possible to fix this in order to bring a better and easier
> user initial experience with the right default values?

Fix how?  Change our style?  I think that'd be a hard change to sell,
because the current defaults were discussed several times and are a
kind of compromise between different preferences, but you need to
raise this on emacs-devel, not here.