Biblatex issue with pdflatex and biber and special chars

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Biblatex issue with pdflatex and biber and special chars
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2019 04:45:03 +0200

Biblatex won't compile with pdflatex and
biber [versions in Elisp code, last] if a book
entry key contains wierd chars. This wasn't an
issue until I upgraded my system, but now
it is.

I think the effect of this workaround should be
added to
`bibtex-autokey-titleword-change-strings' by
default, as wierd chars in keys in
computer systems (keys that are never shown
anyway) are only confusing and, as we have seen
now, from time to time cause problems.

It once worked, so it isn't a bug in Emacs, it
is either a bug or a policy change in the
pdflatex a/o biber camps, but still, I don't
think it makes any real sense having such chars
in keys.

Note that this only affects the *key*
themselves, not the Biblatex entries (examples
below) nor the PDF output [1] once compiled.

    @book{3-x-kapuscinski,
      author     = {Ryszard Kapuściński},
      ISBN       = {978-91-7429-206-0},
      publisher  = {Bonnier},
      title      = {3 x Kapuściński},
      year       = 1993
    }

    @book{med-ornen-mot-polen,
      author     = {Salomon August Andrée and Knut Frænkel and Nils Strindberg},
      ISBN       = {91-7102-085-3},
      publisher  = {Niloé (Bonniers)},
      title      = {Med Örnen mot polen},
      year       = {1978 (1930)}
    }

;; away with Swedish chars
;; and other special chars
;; as DNC w/ either
;; pdfTeX 3.14159265-2.6-1.40.17 (TeX Live 2016/Debian)
;; kpathsea version 6.2.2
;; or
;; biber version: 2.7 (beta)
(cl-loop
 for (r w)
 in `(
      ("ä" "a")
      ("Ä" "A")
      ("å" "a")
      ("Å" "A")
      ("é" "e")
      ("ö" "o")
      ("Ö" "O")
      ("ń" "n")
      ("ś" "s")
      ;; add more here
      )
 do  (map-put bibtex-autokey-titleword-change-strings r w) )

[1] http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/books/books.pdf

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573