Re: Emacs 26.1 on Windows is HUGE

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Emacs 26.1 on Windows is HUGE
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2019 23:29:38 +0200

phillip.lord@russet.org.uk (Phillip Lord) writes:

>> Maybe report that to the MSYS2 packagers.  It's IMO wrong to consider
>> every package that comes with a few Python script not essential to its
>> functionality to be dependent on Python.
>
> Hmmm. Actually, it's indirect, via libglib2.
>
> The dependency was added deliberately in this commit.
>
> d394f202ab275d931f9408c68a4dc1fa95ad723c
>
> viewable here:
>
> https://github.com/msys2/MINGW-packages/commit/d394f202ab275d931f9408c68a4dc1fa95ad723c#diff-4edc48d8f1e38f841d1aa74999389b6e
>
> A priori, I am a bit surprised this is a runtime rather than build time
> dependency, or possibly the dependency on python should be in
> gobject-introspection only. Adding a python dependency to glib seems
> quite a blunt solution. But my knowledge in this is limited to say the
> least. What do think, Eli? Worth reporting?

On that URL an user asked about the dependency on python, no response.

MSYS2 is strongly influenced by Archlinux. Although MSYS2 is quite
sloppy about dependencies (among other things) Archlinux is a differente
beast, and on its PKGBUILD (1) for glib2 python is listed on
`makedepends' and `optdepends', not on `depends'. For me, that warrants
a report. Better, create a PR moving python to `makedepends' and
`optdepends' and CC the author of the commit you referred to on the PR
message.

But... don't expect that MSYS2 makes changes to adapt to your specific
needs. Creating an stand-alone distribution of Emacs is not the same as
managing packages in MSYS2. For instance: as you know, lib* packages in
MSYS2 comes with binaries + development files (.a & *.h ...) while
distributing those with Emacs is dubious. You already remove them from
your zipfiles, why don't do the same with python? BTW, since MSYS2 is
sloppy with dependencies, you can't rely on them for making sure that
everything is included.

And on different topic, did you test that C-h i works as it should? Does
it show the Emacs info files? There is a long-standing problem with
Emacs on MSYS2 about this, although IIRC only happens when you install
Emacs as an MSYS2 package. But since testing it only takes a few
seconds... (I can't test myself, computer attracted lightning)

1
https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/tree/trunk/PKGBUILD?h=packages/glib2